School Innovation and Improvement Plan
School Innovation & Improvement Plan
- Saratoga Elementary School
- Region 6
- Abigail Ragan, Principal
English Language Arts Strategies
- By the end of the school year, the percent of students who are English learners, in grades 1-3, who demonstrate 'on-grade-level' reading ability, as measured by Spring iReady, will increase 10 percentage points.
- Expand use of conversation structures to increase academic talk and build relationships among students. (HLP 1, 3)
- Increase interdisciplinary opportunities to build language and SEL skill development across content areas and throughout the school day. (HLP 1, 3)
- Improve daily, systematic, explicit instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, and morphology in the core language arts block. (HLP 2)
- By the end of the school year, our English Learner students will demonstrate a 10% point growth in meeting the Spring math screener benchmark (EMAS/iReady) .
- Use conversation structures to increase academic talk between students.
- Increase teachers implementation strategies related to Shift 8: from looking for correct answers towards revealing student thinking.
- Improve teachers’ implementation of Framework for Engaging & Student-Centered Mathematics Instruction.
Positive School Climate Strategies
- By the end of the school year, students in grades 3-6 will increase their feelings of belonging by five percentage points as measured by the SEL Screener.
- Increase student engagement and voice to improve school climate and reduce stigma related to mental health. (Promote Student SEL/Mental Health)
- Strengthen adults' knowledge regarding the connection between Tier 1 wellness practices, mental health, behavior, substance misuse, and trauma, and related instructional practices and referral processes appropriate to their role as evidenced by growth on a beginning of the year and end of year survey (Strengthen Adult SEL/Mental Health)
- Improve opportunities for families to learn about and communicate their ideas and needs regarding SEL competencies, protective factors, and mental health. (Strengthen Adult SEL/Mental Health)
Chronic Absenteeism Strategies
- By the end of the 2023-24 school year, chronic absenteeism at Saratoga Elementary will be reduced from 15.3% to at least 10.3%.
- Increase opportunities for personalized early attendance outreach.
- Strengthening messaging to staff, students, and families around attendance to school. Each stakeholder should be able to understand how daily attendance matters, not only for academic success, but because school offers an opportunity to develop social and emotional skills such as listening, paying attention, problem-solving, and self-regulation, all which are needed to grow and learn.
- Understand root causes of student absenteeism. Strengthen programmatic responses to attendance barriers.
For additional information regarding this School Plan, please contact Principal Abby Ragan